This was a hit in our soup-loving home! A #GoodGut chowder is warming, an easy way to add in a large amount of veggies, makes them highly digestible, and less fermentable after being cooked & blended.
How did we make this smoky #goodgut cauliflower chowder?
1 medium yellow onion (about 2 cups), diced
2 medium carrots, diced
2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 medium cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon kosher salt + more to taste
2 stalks celery, diced
1 small leek, diced
1/4 tsp liquid smoke
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper + more to taste
4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
4 cups cauliflower florets (cut into 1/2-inch pieces)
3 medium Yukon Gold potatoes (about 1 pound), cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1/4 cup cashews
1 cup unsweetened plant milk
1/4 cup chopped green onion or scallions
1 Tbsp vegan butter (optional- we like Miyoko’s)
*A low FODMAP version can be made by replacing cauliflower with zucchini and omitting onions, garlic, & leeks. We recommend ensuring you actually need a short-term low FODMAP approach before following that diet/modification.
1. Rip apart the cauliflower florets into 1-2 inch pieces- air fry on or roast on 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes.
2. In your instant pot (or in a pot on the stove), sauté onions, leeks, & garlic on 1/4 cup broth or vegan butter.
3. Add potatoes to the instant pot (or pot), sauté for another 5 minutes.
4. Add chopped carrots, roasted cauliflower, cashews, broth, plant milk, & spices.
5. Cook on manual high pressure for 6 minutes. (If cooking on stovetop cook on medium heat with the lid on for about 35 minutes).
6. Release pressure & add lemon & nutritional yeast.
7. Blend with a hand mixer
8. Enjoy! We topped with tempeh bacon & green onion.
Our goal is to help you incorporate and tolerate more plant foods with your #goodgut. If you are interested in working with an RDN, we are here to support you! You can schedule a personalized visit with us and we would love to collaborate with you on your journey! We see clients from all over the world.
Suffering from gas, bloating, reflux, IBS, SIBO or more? Learn how we do it differently!